Dwellings...Our Parade of Ten Homes in Twenty Years

4. Off to Ryde

Our next house was located in a little place called Ryde. It was away back in the hills of PA and rather far from civilization. I decided then there is something like being too far from church, family, friends, town, and conveniences. I suppose I am spoiled and all that!

In this photo the house has already been spruced up with a new roof, new paint on the siding, new front door, new windows (I think!), new window trim, and some landscaping!


We only lived in it for about three months. As I mentioned in the previous post, I started looking for a house for really cheap. I found one for about $39,000 and we went to take a look.

I took a tour and changed my mind...too depressing and too much work. I couldn't see how we had what it took to undertake such a large project. Dale, on the other hand, came away from the house with a vast excitement about the potential of the property. He convinced me to give it a try!

But we hit a bump in the road. There were two houses on the property and they shared the driveway. Though there were two deeds, the owner changed his mind about selling the two houses separately and told the realtor we have to take both or there is no sale. By that time we had all kinds of ideas brewing about our huge redo on the house and didn't want to walk away from it.

We ended up buying both houses, a shop, and a few acres for $60,000! Yes, the place was a wreck and the house we originally wanted was not what we considered livable...but the price was reasonable and it seemed right somehow.

Hence, the three month stint in the smaller house, which didn't require much to move into. Again, I don't seem to have any good before photos, so this is after we made some changes on the exterior.


Frankly, I don't have a lot of good memories from our time in this house. It was so overwhelming to quickly clean this place well enough to move in, as well as start renovations on the one next door. I remember plopping down on the stairs and just crying my eyes out. I almost couldn't handle it. I think I told Dale, "It's just too much for me!"

But there was no turning back now. I know, I am too emotional...but God was at work on my issues and patiently teaching me how to handle unexpected and difficult situations. Reliance on God is so important. It's not about making all the right choices or never making a mistake or always knowing for sure, but it's about committing our lives to our Father and trusting Him to guide by His Spirit.

One event that I did photograph at this house was Julian's fifth birthday. It was in 2001.


Some of my family came over to help us celebrate! My parents were in from Montana for a visit. Obviously there was some colorful frosting involved!



Dale's mom tries to help Julian with Legos. She was so patient with him and such an encouragement!



We managed to get enough work done on the big house to move in. What a relief!

To be continued...


Comments

  1. Wow What a challenge to take on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying being included on the tours of your homes, Karyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving watching these houses one by one. I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics from all your houses. I've always admired your decorating skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many happy memories of this house... :) and sad ones... It was very exciting for a little sister to have her big sister live so close... ~Juli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Juli, I thought of your family...happy and sad times...both are a part of the portrait God is painting of our lives. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment