Moving Dale's Parents

DAY OF CELEBRATION!

It has been a long time coming and I can't tell you how pleased I am that Dale's parents are finally moved into their new home in Virginia. 

I admit to having twinges of jealousy toward Tina, Ruth, and Joan because they have Mom and Dad right there with them now. But I do not harbor ill-will, I don't! Instead, I am glad for them and anticipate frequent visits to VA in which we gather around Mom's fireplace or relax on her balcony to the tune of delightful conversation! And Dale reminds me that we had the privilege of living near them for about 20 years in PA. He does have a point!

Dale and I left Ohio for Pennsylvania on Sunday afternoon. Monday morning we got to Dad's around 6:00 and within minutes were ready for our journey to Virginia. The truck had been loaded by church friends on Sat. (except for a few mattresses, mirrors, etc.) and we were most grateful!

Dale left the house first with the large yellow truck so he could have a head start. It was a bit slow going o'er hill and valley, twist and curve! I drove our SUV, Mom and Joan followed in the car, and Dad brought his truck, all of the vehicles loaded with their possessions. By early afternoon we had reached our destination!


It is a cute little brick ranch just outside of town and will make a lovely home for them. I bless all those who put so much work into making it beautiful. To be quite honest, I did very little work in this whole process of packing, auction, and moving, but I've been cheering them on!

I was quite impressed with how many of the family...children and grandchildren...came to help unload. It makes the whole process so much more fun! We took over that front lawn with our many automobiles.


"Let me just peek into that top box and see if I know where it should go!"


"On second thought, I'll just take it for you!"


That's my man at his usual post, unloading and trying to make sure things are done quickly and with plenty of hilarity!


There was no lack of strong young men to assist with the task at hand. In fact, Jessica (Dale's 14 year old niece) and I had this thing going between us about how he would give her the tiniest item to carry...a broom, an outlet adapter, a blanket, etc...when she was quite capable of much more. All in fun, of course!


Mom handled all the mayhem with poise and I was so proud of her! That is not an easy job, especially when you have about half a dozen people seeking your advice on placement of a hundred things! I pray she does not have a major back-ache or melt-down in the morning!


Tina and Joan at the daunting task of arranging dishes in the cupboards.


It takes an awful lot of concentration to figure out where to place all the furniture but they are right on it! It would have been so nice to stay and help. I already wish I could go back down for a few days and lend a hand to get it all in order.


This momentous day was also Dad's 73rd birthday and their 52nd wedding anniversary! May the blessing of God rest upon their lives as they settle into a new home, new community, and new church at a time of life when it is not easy to be unrooted.

Dale and I decided to make our homeward journey that very afternoon, so we hit the road for Ohio around 3 p.m. It was a long day of traveling from PA to VA to OH. I do not recommend it but God gave the fortitude necessary to complete the trip without mishap. Unless you count all the failed attempts at finding ice cream on the last leg of the journey. Finally, we saw another prospect, an exit sign with Dairy Queen displayed. I joked to Dale that it'll pry be 5 miles away. I kid you not, it was 4 miles down the road! Why was it even marked on the highway? We drove all that way and had our ice cream! My midnight truffle blizzard was worth the drive!

Along the highway, there is an array of golden, beginning-of-autumn landscape to inspire and delight the senses. Goldenrod is in full bloom and foliage all around is very quietly showing hints of red, orange, and yellow. It is about to burst into deep intense color, but for now, the shy little hints are just perfect!

Of course, you can't capture much of it while driving but I did get this photo of the romance of the Blue Ridge Parkway!


And for those who love poetry, this is one that returns to me in snippets at this season of the year, along with the beginning of school and all those happy childhood days. I had to memorize it as a young girl.

Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)
                September
    THE golden-rod is yellow;
        The corn is turning brown;
    The trees in apple orchards
        With fruit are bending down.

    The gentian's bluest fringes
        Are curling in the sun;
    In dusty pods the milkweed
        Its hidden silk has spun.

    The sedges flaunt their harvest,
        In every meadow nook;
    And asters by the brook-side
        Make asters in the brook,

    From dewy lanes at morning
        The grapes' sweet odors rise;
    At noon the roads all flutter
        With yellow butterflies.

    By all these lovely tokens
        September days are here,
    With summer's best of weather,
        And autumn's best of cheer.

    But none of all this beauty
        Which floods the earth and air
    Is unto me the secret
        Which makes September fair.

    'Tis a thing which I remember;
        To name it thrills me yet:
    One day of one September
        I never can forget.


For me, this particular piece of poetry radiates an enchanting sense of the autumn season leading to a warm happiness within!

Comments

  1. Eeek -I can't believe it, I'm so happy! I've been searching for years for this very poem. For some reason I thought it was written by Robert Louis Stevenson. I learned it as a child too in school & every fall, I think of it. I would quote parts of it to the children, but sadly couldn't remember past the second stanza. This makes me sooo happy happy! I shall promptly copy it and the children shall learn it this week. :) Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we have had very similar reactions to this poem! I love it! It now hangs by my desk :)

      Delete

Post a Comment