One Thing

"One thing have I desired of the Lord,
that will I seek after; 
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the Lord,
and to inquire in His temple."
Psalm 27:4


In the past few weeks, I've been reading the gospels of Matthew and Mark. You know how it is...you read it and see a wonderful truth you never noticed before. The next time around, it speaks something completely new to your heart. That, I believe, it the beauty of the Word of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. Always, it is a fresh and inspiring Word!


In my reading, one thing stands out. Jesus kept trying to stay away from huge crowds and the public eye. He wanted to spend time either teaching His disciples or praying to His Father. He set out down the road, planning to get away from everyone and spend time on a mountain top praying. He told stories in parables so the average listener could not understand, then took His disciples aside and taught them the truths from His messages.


Today's Christianity tries to attract as many people as possible and uses widespread advertising techniques to draw crowds. Yet, prayer and teaching of church members (disciples) is in a category of lesser importance. It is not exciting. There are no glowing reports to send out. It does not satisfy our desire for instant results and tangible evidence of our service to God.


Modern religion brings glory to man. The life and teaching of Jesus brings glory to God. What about my life? One thing is essential. 

"But one thing is needful:
and Mary hath chosen that good part,
which shall not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:42

What did Mary choose to do? She learned of Jesus by spending time listening to what He had to say.

"And she had a sister called Mary,
who also sat at Jesus' feet,
and heard His Word."
Luke 10:39

I believe everything Jesus did and said came from His Father. He listened for what God was saying to Him and then acted on it.

"I speak that which I have seen with My Father..."
John 8:38

"...and the Word which ye hear is not Mine,
but the Father's which sent Me."
John 14:24

One thing I ask of the Lord, that I may dwell in His Presence all of my days. Out of that will spring a living testimony to Jesus Christ. It is more important than the Great, the Amazing, and the Huge! It is knowing Jesus and becoming like Him.

Comments