Unworthy Servants

How am I to live this short life on earth? I had a lot of questions this morning and they began with this verse...


"For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin;
that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."
2 Corinthians 5:21

The height, depth, length, and breadth of that verse I am sure I do not fully comprehend. What does it mean, Jesus was made sin so we can be made the righteousness of God? 



"Oh God, show me."

There is no more need to make any sacrifice for sin, but to repent then walk in Jesus' righteousness. Do I still try to make sacrifices and offerings for my own sin? How, exactly, should I live? How am I to treat sin? What is my understanding of Jesus? 

"Oh God, show me."

If Jesus made such an all-inclusive sacrifice for all my sin, I do not want to take it lightly. I long to have the proper response. Once again, I am left with the distinct impression that I know almost nothing of this Kingdom of God and His Christ Jesus.

What is the freedom in Jesus we talk about so much? How does it translate into my everyday life?

"Oh God, show me."

If I would stop feeling I am owed anything at all and just realize I am an unworthy servant of Jesus, I'd have less trouble with resentment, hurts, unforgiveness, and self-pity.

The disciples asked Jesus to show them how to increase their faith. [I wonder if they were struggling with the same things I'm facing!] He told them this story in Luke 17:7-10.

"When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his Master say, 'Come in and eat with me?' 

"No, he says, 'Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.' And does the Master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. 

"In the same way, when you obey Me you should say, 'We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.'"

There is freedom in that. There is power to live in Jesus' righteousness. I believe there is an answer to be found in those verses for my question of how to live in acceptance of His great sacrifice for me. 

"Thank you, God, for showing me."

As a general rule, I am ever so proud. That pride will always get in the way of living in Christ Jesus. I have to humble myself to walk as an undeserving servant. It goes against the grain of modern culture (or any culture). My own carnal nature cannot stand having zero rights; it wars against the very idea! But if I really want to be in Christ, I must be a servant.

It is the person who knows he is a poor, ignorant, earth-dwelling nobody that is truly grateful for any and every gift from Jesus. He is aware of his need and thankful when that need is met, versus feeling he is owed everything he gets.

It is like the one out of ten lepers who was so thankful for his healing he ran back to Jesus and fell at His feet in praise. That one cleansed leper was a Samaritan, a despised half-breed.

I am not even a half-Jew, I am a complete foreigner, a Gentile. I deserve even less of Jesus' notice than a Samaritan. If I truly realize that, I believe I will become ever more grateful for every gift Jesus gives instead of thinking I deserve an easier lot in life.

I will become a thankful, joyful, loving servant of Jesus. Why? Because He is always giving me the most amazing gifts! Every good thing that happens to me is a gift from my Lord. I deserve every bad thing that happens. This truth planted in my heart will make me a cheerful person.

"Thank you, God, for showing me how to live!"

If Jesus had to suffer terribly and be rejected by His generation, why do I think I need an easier life?

"...the Son of Man must suffer terribly
and be rejected by this generation."
Luke 17:25

As I learn how to live, I am becoming intensely excited! Just to fully live. Really, truly to live unto Jesus, my Lord, Savior, Friend, and Brother.

It is such a glorious life when my perspective is properly placed in God's Son.

"If you cling to your life, you will lose it,
and if you let your life go, you will save it."
Luke 17:33

God has satisfied the longings and questions of my heart! As I live in grateful realization of the tremendous sacrificial gift that Jesus gave to me, I cannot but be thankful for the opportunity to lose my life for Him. All praise to His Most Glorious Name!

Comments

Post a Comment