Abandoned Devotion

"...the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20




Following is a quote from Oswald Chambers, a very direct command to me in regards to my emotions, feelings, and thoughts on where I stand with Christ...

"We should battle through our moods, feelings, and emotions into absolute devotion to the Lord Jesus. We must break out of our own little world of experience into abandoned devotion to Him. He can present us faultless before the throne of God, inexpressibly pure, absolutely righteous, and profoundly justified." 

In my recent readings about martyrs for Christ and those persecuted severely for their faith, I've wondered how they view us, the American version of Christians? Are they ashamed to call us their brothers and sisters?

It breaks my heart to think that Jesus, or even persecuted saints who have gone before us, might be ashamed to be associated with me because I am so self-centered, weak, carnal, and pleasure-seeking in comparison to them.

I've been meditating on this for several days, as well as talking to my family about it all. I cannot say that I am sure of very many things, but this I do know, I can safely and completely throw myself before the throne of God in "absolute devotion" and total faith in the righteousness of Jesus as my protection, my salvation, from sin and self.

As I strive to live in obedience to the Word of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit day by day, Jesus will "present me faultless" based on His life within me. That is what He came to the earth to do. He came to give abundant, overflowing life through the one, great, triumphant sacrifice of His life to God. 

Seeing that, I realize how quickly our hearts can be deceived into believing we are brought into right standing with God on the basis of our works. Those martyrs are not right with God because they died, but because they believed in and lived for Jesus Christ.

It would seem to me that the more spiritual sacrifice is that of martyrdom. I seem to muddle along in a veritable fog of confusion in this pursuit of my Lord and my God, which seems decidedly less clearly-defined as spiritual. But the problem with too much of this comparing I keep doing is that the focus becomes me versus martyrs instead of me before the Lord Jesus.

If I, by the grace of God, seek continually to buy his white robe of righteousness washed in Jesus' blood, to buy His ointment for my blind eyes, and to buy His gold which has been tried by fire, then He will come to me, we will sit together, and one glorious day we will be united at last for all eternity. (taken from Revelation 3:15-22)

So I will remain here on earth, in America, where He has chosen to place me, and be content to serve Him (under these circumstances) with my whole heart. 

I will battle (by faith) against lukewarm temperatures, the pursuit of riches, and a self-centered satisfaction. (Revelation 3:15-17)

For Jesus loves me and gave Himself for me! What an incredibly beautiful salvation!

Comments

  1. Karyn, that is so beautifully written!!! Yes I to want to live for Jesus with my whole heart and fight the battles by faith. I stand with you sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twila, thanks and may God give us grace to STAND!

      Delete

Post a Comment