Room By Room...No.7

"To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life-
this is indeed a gift from God.
God keeps such people so busy enjoying life
that they take no time to brood over the past."
Ecclesiastes 5


Why do those verses in Ecclesiastes always gladden my heart? I know they hold a message that is important for me to remember in those dreary days when life has gone wrong.


Contentment, peace, and the joy of living 
are a result of believing that God gives good gifts to His children. Whether my way is tough and discouraging or I'm in a time of comfort and rest, I can accept 'my lot in life' if my eyes are on Jesus instead of on myself, my circumstances, and all the world's ills. It's taking me a long while to learn this lesson!



I've never completed my 'Room By Room' series, so this is a continuation of that. The last post was in July, so I take my time, obviously! 


Today I will show you before and after photos of the living room, the most-used and well-loved area of our home.

When we toured the house 3 years ago, it was in this condition.


I did not find it entirely inviting but saw the potential for a light-filled space with a bit of paint, furniture, and the right decor!


Getting ready to move in and still looking rather dark. We removed the great green awnings over the windows rather promptly upon taking possession. They hid the best part of the view...sky and trees.


After moving in, the facelift began. Julian removes wallpaper, while Jacki and I come along behind and paint.




Several years in, we took out part of the LONG wall. When the house was built ninety years ago, there was an opening from the living room to the library. This was later enclosed by owners in favor of the Victorian look. We opted to go back to the original order of things. 



Much improved! 


Now, three years and many alterations later, this room is brighter and more in tune with what speaks to me. 

Serenity and Simplicity.  








I struggle to get the fireplace wall to suit me, now that the great big sofa is in that space. It's not symmetrical and I can't be completely happy with it, but this is the best I've come up with so far. There's always tomorrow to rearrange it again!



White bookshelves are just the ticket to lighten this end of the room.




Now that the piano is down on the south end of the room, Jacki has much more sunlight for her music sessions. Last night the sun streamed in so beautifully while she was playing. It was lovely!


May your heart be cheered and inspired to live joyfully this one life God has given you on earth. So many things can (and do) go wrong but we make the choice to turn our eyes to Jesus, the answer for every problem we face. He will teach us to live each day to the fullest. 

I'm learning to trust Him...

Comments

  1. It's been a hard day. This gives me hope. Truly we make the choice to fly to Jesus, our rock. Thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the hard day, yet I do have to admit those are necessary. They cause us to fly to Jesus. I have to do it countless times too, and will until the day I die!

      Delete
  2. Oh and I really, really love the clean look & your style. So pretty & inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! It has been a very long time since I have visited you, so it was nice to stop by today. You have truly done wonders for the looks of your home, and it is all so pretty. The picture of your daughter with the sun shining in was just lovely. God bless you and your dear family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and may God bless you as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment