Just At Home

But that is not exactly the way it sounds. For me, home is the best and safest place on earth. I love...really, really love...to be Just At Home. Travel, vacation, and away-days are wonderful and stimulating and necessary, but I will always love Home best of all.



I remember feeling that way when I got married and it remains unchanged to this day. I worked four days a week in the first few years after getting married because we lived in a tiny apartment and I had to stay occupied somehow. But I couldn't wait to have children and be a stay-at-home mom.

To be quite honest, I feel like I am really in the minority in that respect. I am not altogether certain what the reason is for this strong desire to be at home. I do believe the world lost the core ingredient of home and family when women decided a career was more important than being a keeper of the home, but I also understand there are cases in which it may be necessary for a women to work outside of the home. 


Today is an ordinary day. And it is in ordinary, everyday life that we are molded and shaped into useful vessels, either for the kingdom of Light or for the kingdom of darkness. I am deeply aware of how fleeting this life is and I am not promised even tomorrow. Should I not do what I can to the glory of God in this day? 


All was not bliss and beauty this morning. I had battles to fight and a particular cloud of gloom that was out to kill my faith, but it has been acknowledged and dealt with by the grace of my Father. He mercifully spoke His Word to my need.

His promise to me is in Isaiah 25:6-8...

"In Jerusalem, the Lord of Heaven's Armies will spread a wonderful feast for all the people of the world. It will be a delicious banquet with clear, well-aged wine and choice meat. There He will remove the cloud of gloom, the shadow of death that hangs over the earth. He will swallow up death forever! The Sovereign Lord will wipe away all tears. He will remove forever all insults and mockery against His land and people. The Lord has spoken!"

Isn't that beautiful? The Lord knows we face gloom and death on this earth but He's got a plan and a purpose by which He will triumph over it for us. It gave courage and hope to my heart.

These are the little things that gave me joy today...

I harvested fresh mixed greens from my little circle garden. This combo is so tasty, Jacki and I pile it high on our sandwiches.


A freshly brewed gallon of chocolate mint tea awakens memories of refreshing drinks for months... 


...directly from my own little patch of earth.


A couple hours after lunch it was time to get a wee snack. Coconut bon-bon ice cream with waffle cone pieces equals delight in a sundae cup. 


It was a window-washing kind of day. No, that isn't a joy but a necessary job.


And with the brilliant sunshine it was also a working-in-my-gardens kind of day. Why does the grass insist on growing in toward the flowerbed instead of up toward the sky? No matter, I love tending my gardens.


I work so hard to make this nice edge, only to have it disappear way too quickly. Oh, and notice the holes in the soil. They are popping up all over my landscape. That, I am afraid, is the telltale sign of an impending cicada plague.


For now, the cicadas have not begun their nasty business of shrill song and drunken flight, but I'm already digging them out of the ground with my edging and weeding. I wonder if Julian will still capture them for me like he did at 12 years old in Pennsylvania?


As I worked, I happened to glance up and see the Weaver's truck and just a bit of Julian's red-shirt-sleeve-clad arm, so he must have been out with Tom on delivery. From the other direction came a Troyer Sawdust truck. If you know Tom and James, you know this chance meeting called for a blowing of the horns with joyous abandon. Totally thrilled me! Yes, that little bit of village life, seeing those guys pass by, made me smile. 


Contentment is finding joy in the home, in the calling, in the life, my Father has given to me. Sometimes I have to dig to find it and other times it comes to me in lovely, unexpected packages. I had both today and am happy to know I have a God who loves me and cares for me every single day.

Comments