Year of Yellow Blossoms


There's Always a Springtime

After the Winter comes the Spring
To show us again that in everything
There's always renewal divinely planned,
Flawlessly perfect, the work of God's Hand...

~Helen Steiner Rice


The golden glow of my flowers of choice this year is already pleasing to the eye. I've never planted all yellows before and had serious doubts, but those beautiful begonias...





...the cheery daisies...


...dainty new variety of impatiens...


...they have won my appreciation with their early showing of golden blossoms.


I paired the 'Non-stop Yellow Tuberous Begonias' with 'Rekohu Sunrise Sedge' (curling grass), 'Illumination Lemon Tuberous Begonias' (trailing), and German ivy. Grasses complete the plantings, in my opinion. I had tried elephant ears but Jacki and I both knew it was not quite right. I dug it out and replaced it with the graceful grasses, then all was right in the little world of container gardens.



Rain barrel canopy...


I get excited watching the uncurling of the tall green ferns in the shade garden. They appear graceful, calm, and stately as they slowly perform their spring ritual, another tribute to the beauty of the Master Creator's handiwork.


I snapped a picture of my tattered plant list. This is where my ideas take shape after searching the internet, catalogs, and magazines. The all-important list goes along to the greenhouses and endures multiple changes throughout the planning and shopping process. It even takes its place out among the flowers while I plant. Otherwise, I forget what goes where. Crumpled and stained and splattered, it is a key piece of my gardening guidelines, keeping me on the right track when I start to swerve toward the wrong byways at the garden centers.


My purchases all lined up in the patio.


The hanging basket by the kitchen entrance 


I think my friends secretly wonder at my decision to plant this early in the season. I have my own questions about the wisdom of planting a week or two before the usual time frame. All I can say is the warm, sunny days in April had that effect on me. That, and the unusually busy upcoming month of May. Add those together and, when the opportunity arose, I dove in with a glad cry!  

There has been a bit of progress in the circle garden since we planted it a few weeks ago...



There are baby birds about. This dove seems to be a little lost and has my sympathy. It can be a tough, cold world out there.


We have doves nesting on several sides of our house, a fact which brings great delight to my heart. Yesterday I watched a mother dove try to shoo her babies away from the safety of home. They were loath to obey, flapping and fluttering in her face. In the commotion they knocked down an extension cord and left it dangling in the patio. When I removed the cord one baby bird took flight but the other sat there looking very sorry for itself. Poor baby! This morning, however, the nest is empty. It speaks of the stages of our lives as well. How I love watching the tiny bit of bird activity around our village home.


I've had this section of fence in storage until I figure out how to incorporate it into my gardens. The other day I bought two metal fence posts, sprayed them white, pounded them into the ground, and got Julian to help me fasten them to the picket fence. 


My homemade, less-than-perfect, fence border in a backyard garden. I'm pretty sure that is what I've been saving it for all these months because it's the exact size and shape to fit the space. I do appreciate when it all finally falls into place.


Doverlee in Springtime is a welcoming home surrounded by greenery, white blossoms, and red maples all coming to life again. I am humbled by God's gracious gift.



"He who loves an old house
Never loves in vain
How can an old house
Used to sun and rain,
To lilac and to larkspur
And an elm above,
Ever fail to answer
The heart that gives it love?"

~Isabel Fiske Conant


Beautiful springtime and happy planting to all!

Comments