To Bring To Nought

There is a question on my mind and it has been lodged there for days, weeks, months...

"What is truth?" Amid the varied, crazy, opposing ideas out there, what is actual truth? Can it even by found in this day in which we live?

We all face conflicts and ask for solutions. About the time we think our problems are solved, a larger, more complex, issue arises and dwarfs the former worry. Confusion sets in and threatens to overrule rest and peace.

I am sure I am not alone when I say there are insurmountable obstacles in our path at this very moment. I think of two situations in particular in which I struggle with perplexity and distress. But I can only go so far in my dismay before I realize I have but one choice, and that is to turn my mind and heart and spirit to my Father for direction.

Mercifully, He has given us His Holy Spirit for continual infilling, comfort, and guidance. There need never be a day, a moment, without Him. This was one of those times when I desperately needed the hope only He can bring. 

The confusion was swirling all around. The fears and questions clamored in my mind, loud and insistent. Then, like a beam of light in the darkness, I remembered there was something in the Bible about God choosing the foolish things of this world to confound the wise, and things which be not, to bring to nought the things that are. 

I found the verses in 1 Corinthians.

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: but God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: that no flesh should glory in His Presence." 1 Corinthians 1:26-29

...it shone so brightly and clearly onto the blackness within my mind that I knew I had been given Words of Life by which to continue walking with peace and confidence in my Lord. There is hope for me, foolish and unlearned though I may be!



We cannot ever understand or study or discover what is "truth" in God's kingdom. It is outside of us. It is beyond our realm of knowledge. When we recognize and admit our weakness, ignorance, and inability, He is able to fill us with His Spirit and reveal to us His Son, His plan, His truth.

"But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, Who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: that according as it is written, he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:30,31

I am filled with awe at His concise way of answering every question, banishing the darkness, and bringing "truth" to the confusion in my mind. He has never once deserted me in my hour of need. It might have felt like He did, when the hour stretched in days and weeks and months, but in that time He was building faith, patience, endurance, and teaching me how vastly different His way is from mine. 

We look for intelligence, wise answers, instant solutions. The Father looks to glorify the Son. He is sure and solid "truth" I can stand on in times of trial. Though all seems confusion for too long, I still hope and wait and believe in Him. 

"Jesus saith unto him, 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.'" John 14:6

"What is truth?" Jesus is forevermore Truth!

In these perplexities, God is trying "to bring to nought" our ideas in order for His Son to be glorified in us. Then, He is able to guide us into all truth by His Spirit.

Comments