Books I'm Reading


"For Thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness." Psalm 18:28

The reading of a good book is like a candle lighting an otherwise dark, unknown path with a glow of wisdom, humor, comfort, adventure, serenity, happiness, or any number of emotions, thoughts, and ideas.


Winter days and barren gardens. Long evenings and hours indoors. These provide the perfect opportunity to reach for my pile of books. I don't crochet, though I've tried and sincerely wish I could, but I love to read!


I am either about to begin, right in the middle, or recently finished with that stack of books. It is not unusual for me to have two to four books going at one time. Reading good books is about learning, exploring, growing, inspiring, challenging, relaxing. I am by no means an expert on what is the best reading material but I am willing to share with you this part of my daily life if perchance it may enrich your life in some way. I am sure the criteria I apply when selecting books is much too narrow for most people and too broad for others. This is about sharing what is on my list!

 

Lifestyle by Tricia Foley delights my soul with its simplicity in decor, a subject in which I take great interest. Lots of large beautiful photos and interesting commentary make it a calming pleasure for me.


If you are looking to do a study of the entire Bible in a concise, understandable fashion, I highly recommend Through the Bible by Zac Poonen. It's a thousand pages and will take some time, but I have found it both challenging and encouraging to hear from an older brother in Christ who has learned many lessons over fifty years of walking with the Lord. I have had the joy of sitting under his messages and invariably my heart is drawn toward Christ. That is a priceless treasure.


The other day I finished reading Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi. It is perhaps overly intellectual but I found it helpful to get a good look at the workings of a Muslim mind from his perspective. I think it can be educational and inspiring to hear the testimony of how Jesus is revealed to people of a completely different upbringing from my own. It really does broaden my horizons.

I am just starting The New Covenant by Watchman Nee and Witness Lee. The covenant God made with us through Jesus is a subject I have been seeing in a new light and I want to know more. It is a book I will probably read slowly, a bit at a time.

The last on the list is one I have not yet begun to read. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is a book on writing, another topic of interest in my world. I am hoping to pick up a few tips to improve my limited skills. As in a ninth-grade-education-max type of limited. But I love writing and am happy to totter away at it despite my lack of qualifications.

That concludes my current reading list. None of them would be considered thrilling or exciting. But I do not necessarily gravitate toward adventure reading. Someday I may compile a list of some of the books I've read and enjoyed in the past, but that is a task for another day!

Comments