4. Narrative of A Mother

Our Daughter is Born...


I had a dream when I was pregnant with our first child. In it, I was having twins and we named them Julian and Jacquelyn. At that point we still had not decided on a name for our baby but it turns out that dream may as well have been prophetic! Not the twins part, of course, but we do have two children and those are their names.

About the time I discovered I was carrying our second child, a major upheaval occurred in my family. My parents accepted a call to move across the country so Dad could pastor a new church. My three younger sisters still lived at home and moved with them. It was not an easy time for me, and at one point, I even feared I might lose my baby. Thankfully, the danger signals passed and our longed-for baby girl arrived. She was sheer joy in the midst of a rather dark and shadowy era.

Before her birth, I had a pretty distinct portrait of my baby girl in which I pictured a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, happy and carefree toddler running alongside our country lane. It was only a thought, a dream, but I really had no idea whether or not I was having a girl or how she would look. Imagine my delight when I actually gave birth to my darling daughter! I had my very own baby girl and my heart was overflowing with contentment!

My husband and I both declare to this day, without a doubt, that she was an infusion of joy into our home! I had a sense of satisfaction and an expectation of good that is indescribable. Deep down inside, I knew we had been given a beautiful gift of refreshing and renewing and joy. 

Incidentally, a few years later, she was happily skipping along by the side of the lane when I had a sudden flashback of that vision before she was even born. The reality was precisely like the dream...she was a cute, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, fun-loving, and carefree toddler! And I had to pause and thank the Lord for His amazing and wonderful gift to me.

* * * * *

Our daughter's entrance into our family was the best thing that could have happened for our son. They were almost two years apart and two completely opposite personalities. To accentuate that, there was no physical resemblance to identify them as siblings (yet they both looked like their dad's side of the family...explain that one to me)! He was dark, she was fair. While Julian was intense and easily frightened, Jacquelyn was easy-going and relaxed. She loved to chatter, he was quiet. She bounced along through the toddler years and he took it upon himself to protect her. They were perfect little companions. 

I marvel at how God places the best-matched children together in families. When your hope and your life is in Him, all things work together for good. It's not just a reassuring Bible verse, it is truth to live by and a constant source of security. I see my Father's hand in the tiniest details of everyday living. When I have questions about the complexities of my existence, I always know I have a safe refuge in the Lord. His Word is my guide in matters great and small.

"And we know that God causes everything
to work together for good,
to those who are called
according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28

...to be continued

Comments