Christ Is Supreme

There is a beautiful poetry in the description of Christ in Colossians. The assurance that He has included me in His glorious redemption plan and receives me as His own is joy unspeakable. I awoke this morning with a renewed expectation of good. 


Days of darkness so thick had enveloped my soul until it seemed I was in a cavern deep in the earth with no light even to see my hand in front of my face. It was suffocating, it was terrifying, it was a force of destruction that I could not withstand on my own. There are unseen enemies in the heavenly realms that war against our souls and I felt like I was up against them.

"The night watchman found me as they made their rounds.
They beat and bruised me and stripped off my veil, 
those watchmen on the walls."
Song of Songs 5:7

And I was afraid. I crept away into a silent terror of rejection even from my Bridegroom. Had I chased Him away? Had I delayed too long in the caves of the night? I could not hear His Voice in that black darkness. So many other voices clamored in my head. 

Blame. Pride. Disgrace. Sin. I cowered, ashamed of who I had become. 

Then I paused in that dark corridor of dangerous pitfalls. A tiny voice questioned whether this fearful anguish is really the message Jesus sends to His bride? Does He lie in wait to destroy her? Does He accuse her when she is frightened and alone? Does He relentlessly bombard her with her failures?

If not, what then, does He say to His bride? Slowly, slowly, my heart remembered what drew me to Him before. 

His hands are outstretched in love and welcome to all who call out to Him in faith and acknowledge a need for Him. He draws with gracious and gentle expressions of His love. He becomes the Light in the dark cavern, showing us the Way, Truth, and Life are all to be found in Him. He is merciful, kind, and receives us unto Himself with His glorious gift of redemption. 

He is now the Heavenly Father's supreme riches and glory, taking us out of the darkest dungeons and presenting us holy and blameless before His presence.

"Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.
He existed before anything was created
and is supreme over all creation,
for through Him God created everything 
in the heavenly realms and on earth.
He made the things we can see
and the things we can't see-
such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities
in the unseen world.
Everything was created through Him and for Him.
He existed before anything else,
and He holds all creation together.
Christ is also the Head of the church,
which is His body.
He is the beginning,
supreme over all who rise from the dead.
So He is first in everything.
For God in all His fullness 
was pleased to live in Christ,
and through Him God reconciled
everything to Himself.
He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth
by means of Christ's blood on the cross."
Colossians 1:15-20

A love like this is beyond my human comprehension or powers of explanation. The only possible way to receive it is to humble myself, like a child, and open my heart to everything He offers. What an amazing salvation! What a supreme sacrifice of a pure life for the redemption of my soul. How can I refuse so great a gift? By His glorious power and grace He has pulled me out of that cavern of dark despair and called me His very own bride. 

"Who is this coming up from the wilderness,
leaning upon her Beloved?"
Song of Songs 8:5

That is me! For the very breath of life I lean on my Lord. For strength each day, I trust in Him. He has never failed me and He never will. He gives His beloved bride all she needs to be presented unto Himself pure and spotless. 

Faith arises in my heart once more as love for Christ Jesus the Lord shatters the darkness!

Comments